Saturday, April 17, 2010

Hello World!

Hello world! Over the past two months many exciting and interesting events have happened in my life. Here is a short and sweet update. I moved to Winston-Salem, the city of the arts and I am working at UNC School of the Arts. That very first weekend we were downtown Winston (which is very small and cute) coming out of a resturant, when this idiot try to steal my new Coach purse. REALLY?!?! I mean I have literally traveled all over the world and I move to this small city and some fool tries to take my Coach. Well needless to say my loud voice came in handy because he didn't get it and tons of people came running to my rescue, including the WS police that were right on the corner. All in all it turned out to be ok, he didn't get the purse, I didn't get hurt and he got sent to jail.
My job is fantastic and I have loved working here! It is definitely the closet I will get to my dream job! I have a great team and the opportunities here are amazing! Some days it doesn't even feel real, it is like a little mini-Hollywood because these students are some of the most talented students in the country! So all of that waiting and praying for the right opportunity was really worth it! God is so good!!
So my position involves working with different student organizations and planning events and programs for the campus. It is a very unique position and one of the cool things is that I live on campus for FREE! I know some of you may be thinking that I have a typical dorm room apt, but I kid you not my apartment is a two-story townhome that is about 1200 sq. ft. It is absolutely incredible and it's the most space I have ever had. I have a huge closets all throughout the apt which is fabulous, a full size kitchen, 2 huge bedrooms and a huge living room that had a porch! I will post pictures soon!
Living on campus does have its ups and downs for sure. I was quickly reminded how joyful it is at times when last week two different epic events happened back to back. Last Wednesday night I decided to go to sleep early and was in such a deep sleep when all of sudden at 1:45 am the horrible loud fire alarm went off. I literally jumped out of bed, confused and really couldn't figure out what was going on. I threw on clothes, grabbed my blackberry and keys and ran out the door. By the way I don't have any residence life responsibilities so I had no idea what the protocol was for an incident like this. Granted I knew that all of us needed to get out but what to do from there, I had no idea. So all the students and I were standing outside half asleep and waited for about 30 minutes till we were clear to go back in. We later found out that someone was taking a shower and the steam set off the alarm. Thanks student for waking me out of slumber in the middle of the night! Well the next night I was off campus for a meeting when a horrible storm swept through the city really fast causing really high winds, strong rain and lightening. All of a sudden I received a text saying that lightening hit the powerline by my car. The powerline fell (not on my car, thank goodness) and hit the water which caused the power to go out in all the residence halls. For a visual it looked like that scene in Back to the Future! :) Well this of course meant my apt. had no power. Well I had to get back on campus so my dear friend Brooke drove me back, I ran through the water (our campus has a horrible drainage system) and ran into my pitch black apt. So to not bore you with all the fun details the power was off from 8pm till 6am. Not alot happened during that time other than me thinking that I was over living on campus (at least in that moment).
So friends that is just a quick update on a few events that have happened recently. Sorry it's so long but I needed to catch you up! More fun and exciting things to follow like pictures of WS, school and my apt. Stay tuned! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment